Monday, April 30, 2012

Bracelet: Multi-strand multi-texture


Multi stranding has been going on for a few years. When you want to draw attention to your delicate wrist, one circling around it is not enough. The same trend is carried over to ring, multiple rings worn at the same time for that 1 inch or so space on your finger.

I like this piece because the material used here is twisted yarn. With different yarn thickness and the density per inch wrapped, one achieve different texture. And of course as a piece of jewelry, we need some glitter on the otherwise matt surface of yarns. So that beading effect converted this fiber piece into a jewelry piece.

I took one semester fiber art and think we should do more with fiber, which gives us such diverse way of expression: color, texture, the warmth and the earthy tone associated with the material.  In some art exhibitions in Los Angeles, I find more artists are using fiber as their media. I see that trend spilling into jewelry making.

One last thing: I like the big button closure, domesticating the piece for the girl next door.

No comments:

Post a Comment